I am a "friend" of YesFM on Facebook. This last weekend was their share-a-thon. They had posted that whomever would give a minimum amount of money would get a $25 Gift Certificate to a local tattoo shop. People went nuts! "God says not to harm our bodies" Everyone said. It got me thinking, how am I (a theoretically new Christian) supposed to know which rules were "normal for that time" and which we are to follow even now no questions asked. This is what I came up with:
I think that through the years, the Bible has been used to ones own advantage. You don't want your kid to be gay, "you can't - the Bible forbids it." Which isn't a lie. Leviticus 18 says, "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." No argument there.
However - there are things that were done back then that we wouldn't think of doing now. For instance, Lev. 20:10 says 'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.' Not good. We certainly wouldn't do that - half the population would be dead, then where would we be?
I think that through the years, parents have used the Bible to their own advantage. It's not right, but when I say that, I'm not really willing to make an example of myself and do what Lev. 18:4 says: "You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the LORD your God." No siree - no thank you.
But seriously - if we obey one, we must obey them all, right? That is what he tells us to do! I have read on the internet (which I know is so awesomely reliable) that things were put in the Bible because back then, people wouldn't do something unless they were told it came from God, even if it would for their own good. For instance, Jews don't eat pork. The Bible says they are unclean. They were back then - they had no way of preserving them. The Bible says not to defile your bodies with tattoos and the such. The ink they used back then was highly toxic, and because no one would listen unless it came from God, they stuck it in there with everything else.
So...I'm confused. There is someone I know that says gay people, even if they are devout Christians, aren't really saved because their "gayness" (Like it's a disease) is a blatant disobey-ment (does disobey have a noun form?) Of God's word. Well, that's just wonderful. I like to drink. I like to drink, and I like to get drunk. I don't do it very often, but when I do, I do it well. Does that means I don't believe? I have a tattoo (Hey! so does he!). Does that mean we are both non believers? How can one be expected to decifer what is relavent and what's not? And who makes that call? And who died and made them boss? Cuz seriously....I though Jesus died, and that made HIM boss. Right?
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
awesome points... here are some more to add, women were not to cut their hair..ooops Im a sinner there, and women were not to wear men's clothing and visa versa..oops again, Im in pants....there are all subject to the era which it was written...BUT there are reasons for even these small commandments, even in current times. I dont think i could explain it in a way that would make sense to you (or me) with out contradicting myself...by as far as gay people, my cousin is gay and is the nicest woman in the world..love her more than most people in my family, BUT she is sinning and is continuing to sin with out repentance, there for she will not be joining me in God's kingdom. HOWEVER, before she dies, I think she can repent and will go to heaven. The only people that I dont think can go to heaven no matter what are people who commit suicide. Last year my friend, a great christian as far as i knew, killed himself. I cried not because he was dead but because he was going to hell. I dont think he could have asked for forgiveness BEFORE he sinned and he certainly couldnt ask for it AFTER since he was dead....but that may just be me............as always well done
Post a Comment